About the Integration
Our HubSpot integration provides management of Company and Contact data, with a focus on property mappings between ClientSuccess and HubSpot. As part of the integration, you'll also have control over sync frequency and direction.
Before connecting, we strongly recommend considering the following:
What Are Your Business Goals?
Bringing data from HubSpot into ClientSuccess or vice versa should require reflecting on what your business goals are in integrating the two systems (or any system for that matter). You'll want to ensure the two systems cooperate to achieve an overarching objective, linking relevant functionally across teams to act as a coordinated whole.
- Move away from poor data
- Work toward alignment (ie with Sales) and trust in the data
- Understand what / where your source of truth is
- Define who needs what data
Companies with strong data integrity and a clear strategy for integrating systems typically have a smoother experience with greater outcomes.
If you feel your strategy lacks direction or bandwidth, or have struggled to deliberately design your customer experience we encourage you to take advantage of our professional consulting services.
To integrate HubSpot with ClientSuccess, you must:
- Connect using a HubSpot log-in with admin-level permissions
- HubSpot must be able to support API and connected apps
- You may need to make sure the admin is properly authorized in HubSpot to self-authorize connected apps.
- We also recommend as a best practice, though it is not required, to connect with a log-in used specifically for integrations. This avoids the mishap of a user leaving your company and that user being deactivated, breaking the integration.
HubSpot integration provides the following functionality:
- Map HubSpot Company data fields (default setting, can map to another object if desired) to ClientSuccess Clients
- ie Client Name, Client As Of Date, Client Type
- Map HubSpot Contact data fields (default setting, can map to another object if desired) to ClientSuccess Contacts
- ie First Name, Last Name, Title, Email
- Define your criteria for which HubSpot Companies and Contacts will be synced to ClientSuccess Clients and Contacts
- ie Account Type = Customer, All Contacts
- Determine sync direction between ClientSuccess and HubSpot for each HubSpot Company and/or Contact field,
- ie bi-directional, HubSpot to ClientSuccess, ClientSuccess to HubSpot
- Set sync frequency
- default is every 15 minutes but can be customized for you
- Option to enable automatic syncing for Engagements from ClientSuccess to HubSpot
- ie Phone Calls, Meetings, Emails, Notes
Configuring the Integration
Prior to getting started, you'll want to have a quick meeting with your CSM and invite the relevant internal stakeholders (ie sales, operations, etc) to align on the HubSpot migration process. Your CSM will set expectations, introduce the process for mapping your fields, outline the steps for a successful integration, and provide recommendations based on your level of data and strategy preparedness.
*Note: If you are a new customer in the process of onboarding, this is already planned as part of the Hubspot Integration Prep call
1. Authenticate the integration
ClientSuccess admins connect to the HubSpot integration within ClientSuccess.
2. Complete the HubSpot property mapping template exercise
With the ability to map HubSpot Companies and Contact data to ClientSuccess Companies and Contacts, you'll need to use a planning template and let us know which mappings you'd like to set and sync as well as the filters to use for selecting
Your CSM will be sharing this HubSpot field mappings template as part of your integration.
3. HubSpot Property Mapping Configuration and Validation
By this step, your integration property mapping template should be filled out. Notify your CSM that you are ready to move forward with the next steps, which will include having the property mappings set up.
For more detailed information on what to expect, please read our HubSpot property mapping configuration and validation help article.
4. Data Parity Exports (applicable if you have previously existing data in ClientSuccess)
To ensure parity of the data between HubSpot and ClientSuccess, these steps will be critical.
- You will need to create two data exports from Global Settings>Data Exports.
- Bulk Clients Data
- Bulk Contacts Data
- Once you've exported and downloaded these, you will need to import them into your Hubspot instance. This will bring your Hubspot and CS fields into parity.
- To avoid drift of the data between the two systems, you will likely want to coordinate having this work done outside of regular working hours and run as close to the trigger of your first-time, full data import.
We also recommend as a good practice that you consider running an export in Hubspot of all your client accounts, based on the filter you created to determine which client records should be coming over to CS as a back-up to know your filter is acting as expected.
5. Sync and validation
Once the mappings have been validated, the sync will be turned on per your sync frequency and direction settings.
You'll want to make sure that data is being updated between HubSpot and ClientSuccess as anticipated. We'll then trigger the full import of the HubSpot data into ClientSuccess and your sync frequency and direction settings will be in affect going forward.
Property mappings will then be available as read-only through the UI under Global Settings > Integrations > HubSpot CRM (Labs).
6. Initial integration completion and ongoing sync
Data should now be successfully flowing between HubSpot and ClientSuccess. If at any point you desire to update sync frequency, direction, or other mappings please update your property mappings template and notify your CSM.
Updated changes made will be reflected as part of the next sync frequency (ie every 15 minutes).