Our product usage tracking feature allows you to observe key actions that your clients do within your app. These events can be nearly anything, including buttons clicked, pages viewed, time spent completing actions, projects completed, or dollars processed.
The right metric is whatever best indicates that your user is engaged and getting value out of your app. Once passed to ClientSuccess, you'll be able to compare usage trends over several predefined time periods as a daily average or total.
Please Note - It's a common practice to include these usage metrics and trends as a part of your overall SuccessScore.
You can track up to 20 events that would include up to 1 million events a month.
There are four options to pass usage data into ClientSuccess:
- Directly from the API - Submit events to the ClientSuccess Usage API. This is best for lower-level, complex events, calculated, or batched data.
- When passing through emails via the API, we strongly recommend passing them through as lower-case strings.
- Configured Flat file - Follow these instructions to import CSV. We support ad-hoc and scheduled imports of usage data via the following methods:
- Google Cloud Files
- Via Pendo - Send usage data in via our Pendo Integration.
- Via Segment - Send usage data in via our Segment Integration.
Please Note - that you can use any combination of these methods to push different types of usage metrics into the Usage App tracker in ClientSuccess.
What information does ClientSuccess usage tracking provide?
- Average events within selected time period
- Total events within selected time period
- Trending visualization of events within selected time period
- Trending visualization of events within previous time period
- Available time periods:
- Last week
- Last month
- Last 7 days
- Last 30 days
- Last 60 days
- Last 90 days
- Last 180 days
How to configure:
To install product usage tracking, you must:
- Be an Admin user with full access to ClientSuccess.
API usage event efficiency planning
The standard limit for the number of events sent through the ClientSuccess Usage API is 1mm/month. If need to increase that, please contact your CSM. There is an additional fee for increased usage events.
There are two options to help you optimize the # of events you send through the API.
1. Pre-aggregate the # of events for the desired period BEFORE submitting to ClientSuccess.
Example: If Jimmy logs in 3 times on August 19th, instead of sending three events each with a 'value' of 1, send one event with a value of 3 for the day.
2. Send Client-level events vs Contact-level events. If you are not concerned about comparing the number of events between each individual user, and are only interested in tracking the number of events per Client, simply aggregate all usage events to the Client level before sending to ClientSuccess.
Method 1 - Direct integration via API:
1. Locate your Usage API Key and Project ID on the Usage Settings screen.
2. Click on this link to get the API details to configure the usage API with your API - ClientSuccess Usage API
Method 2 - Automated Flat File ingestion
- Follow these instructions to automate a regular import of your usage data via CSV.
Method 3 - Through the Browser
Method 4 - Via Pendo
- Click on this link to follow instructions for a Pendo Integration.
Method 5 - Via Segment
- Click on this link to send usage data in via our Segment Integration.
3. From your Usage Settings page, set a "Primary Metric", "Default Date Range" and "Default Metric":
4. If the organization name passed in matches a Client name in ClientSuccess, then the ID will be associated with that client automatically when the first event is passed in. If the organization name doesn't match a Client name exactly, then you will need to perform a one-time, manual pairing after the first event is passed in as shown in the image below. You will need to click on the drop-down arrow and select the correct client that usage data should be paired with and hit "save". Once the organization ID is associated with a Client, all future events will be automatically associated with that Client by the organization ID.
Note: Data must be actively sent into ClientSuccess before the Usage App window will show up in the interface.